Harper's Haven, in Maine, is a tiny coastal town, which survives on the tourism dollar of its seasonal guests. During the summer, the population nearly triples, with many wealthy Philadelphians and New Yorkers coming up to stay in their summer homes. It, as a town, is well over two hundred years old and many of the buildings are almost as old as that. It is wedged between Mt. Juniper and the bay shore, offering many beautiful natural settings to be enjoyed.
Besides tourism dollars, there is a small fishing fleet which goes out into the bay. There is also the Walden Canning Concern, a large canning company.
The infamous Walden family has been the leading family in the community, for over two hundred years. Going back to Sir Thomas Walden, there have always been Waldens at Walden Grove. Walden Grove is a small, wooded estate set on the bluffs, overlooking the bay. There is a two hundred year old manor house, fashioned from imported yellow limestone. It is said that Sir Thomas's ghost still haunts the mansion, looking for revenge for his bloody murder. In fact, more than one Walden has met a bloody end. There is a history of deformity and insanity which has dogged this famous family.
This is a soap opera game, with mild touches of the supernatural to it. (I.E. You might spot a ghost or actually contact a dead relative with a seance.) This means no vampires or werewolves need apply. The writing, and the acting, will be over-the-top. We are looking for romance, racy material and revenge. There will be tidal waves, betrayals, affairs, kidnappings and evil twins. You can play a Walden, a tourist or a long-term resident.
The game is set in 1985. It is July 4th, on a Thursday and fireworks are starting in an hour or so. "Back to the Future" just came out yesterday. Ronald Reagan has just started his second term as the U.S. president, with George H. W. Bush serving as his vice president. "We Are the World" is still in the public consciousness. In South Africa, Nelson Mandela is still in prison. The Berlin wall is still four years away from falling. The Irish Republican Army is still waging a war against the British. Four months ago Amadeus won best picture at the Academy Awards. Bryan Adam's "Heaven" has replaced Tears For Fear's "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" as the number one song on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. New Coke has failed and Classic Coke is back. Studio Ghibli is just getting off the ground in Japan. Hair is big and clothing is colorful.
- Fade-to-black for sex scenes. This is not an adult game, though there will be mature themes.
- Write a minimum of one full paragraph per post. Two or three paragraphs should be the norm and more are welcome. Try to write for quality over quantity though.
- You must write in complete, easily read, grammatically-sound sentences. No netspeak, lack of punctuation and the like will be tolerated. You will only receive one warning. I do not expect perfection, but I do expect a reasonable effort.
- Post a minimum of twice weekly. Three or four times a week is preferred.
- Try to find alternatives to the f-bomb. Again, this is not an adult game. Such words as bitch, damn and hell are fine, but do not go overboard. This is 1980's television, not HBO.
- If you quit without giving notice, after one week of no activity, and a two day warning, your character will become an NPC, the GM will write for him or her as he sees fit.
- Double characters are allowed, but only if you can keep up the twice weekly posting requirement for both characters.
- If you have an issue with another player, for whatever reason, use PM's rather than bringing it up in the *Talk of the Town*. I also ask you think before you do so. This goes for the Administrator also.
Note: You may come up with other family members, townsfolk, tourists and the like.
Public description, what strangers see.
Picture: You must have a picture of your character, whether you use HTML or the pictures PBW provides.
Biography: 1-2 paragraphs
Private stuff, stats and background.
Relationships: who do you know and how - can put pending at the beginning
Secrets: give me at least one